Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Old Yeller


Old Yeller by Fred Gipson is a 1957 Newbery Honor Book.
Old Yeller is about a fourteen year old boy, Travis, in the late 1860’s in Texas.  His father has left on a cattle drive and he stays behind with his mother and younger brother to help take care of the farm.  An old yellow dog wanders onto the farm.  Initially, Travis tries to run the dog off, but his younger brother stops him.  Travis quickly realizes that Old Yeller, as he calls the dog is valuable after Old Yeller saves their lives.  Travis grows to love this dog as Old Yeller increasing proves his worth to the family.  Old Yeller saves Travis’s families lives by fending off a rabid lone wolf.  Since Old Yeller is bitten by the wolf, Travis has to put down Old Yeller.
I really did not want to read this book.  I saw the movie of Old Yeller when I was fairly young and I remembered it as being very sad.  I decided to read the story for this class.  I found the book to be exciting.  I pictured all the action in my mind as I read it.  It was heartwarming and sad just like the movie I saw when I was much younger.  The story was definitely worth my while to finally read.
Gipson, F. (1956). Old Yeller. New York: Harper & Row, Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment