Friday, July 22, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling is listed number forty-eight on the 100 most Challenged Books list.
I love this book.  It was the first book that I got on tape for my daughter who was a struggling reader.  We first listened to the book as we drove up to South Dakota, the summer Harry Potter was released.  Our family enjoyed listening to it and discussing the story.  When we got home, my daughter insisted that she had to have Harry Potter in hardback.  She would listen to the tapes and follow along in the book.  Rachel wore the tapes out and moved onto the CDs.  My daughter is no longer a struggling reader.   I feel that this book was the key that opened the door to the reading world for her.  I still have the book which I have just reread. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is still a great book about surviving, working hard, persevering, friendship, wizards, and magic.  It is an incredibly fun story that pulls you into a new world, Harry’s world.  I am not sure why this book is on the Challenged Book list.  There is magic and witchcraft, but mostly the book is about adventure and friendship. 
Rowling, J. K. (1997). Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. New York: Scholastic Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment