Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Madeline


Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans was a Caldecott Honor Book in 1940.

Madeline was the first book that I remember owning when I was a little girl.  As I reread it, I still enjoyed the antics of Madeline.  Reveled in the beauty of Paris and marveled at the twelve little girls lining up in two straight lines.  In the two straight lines, they walked, ate, brushed their teeth and slept.  This went on until Madeline had her appendix removed were she stayed in the hospital for at least ten days.  When I was little and had my appendix out, it was seven days.  The illustrations are animated and well done.  They convey a delightful lighthearted mood.  I believe that Madeline is just as enchanting today as the story was when I was a little girl.  I just love it.
Bemelmans, L. (1939). Madeline. New York: The Viking Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment